JUNE 29 - VERSION 1.2.0 RELEASED
Click here for details.

Food for Thought (Pt. 1: Artillery Units?)

Let's talk about game play, strategies, and ask questions.
OneEyedJack

Food for Thought (Pt. 1: Artillery Units?)

Postby OneEyedJack » 13 Aug 2018 17:14

Hello! I've been playing this game for about a year and a half now, and I'd like to propose a few alterations to the game. I know that these chats are pretty quiet, but hopefully this will start some discussion. I also know that development of this game has been suspended and that none of these suggestions will ever be made, but I just want to get a feel of how others perceive the game and ponder some food for thought. Don't get me wrong, I think this game is amazing in its simplicity, but like many of you (I hope), I still find it fun to ponder what things this game could have had to perfect it.

The first idea I'd like to bring up is the idea of adding an artillery unit.

I've found while playing the game that in small maps or maps with few aircraft slots in the the production cues (Boot Camp, Jungle Boots, River Line, and Forest Dwellers come to mind) that smaller nation's (especially those with only light armor divisions) are sometimes severely disadvantaged in land warfare in comparison to nation's such as Germany and France, who have Heavy armor divisions. This does, of course reflect quite a bit of historical accuracy, but sometimes it is excessively difficult for players to overcome these obstacles. It can become possible for a heavy armor division to run rampant through infantry, EFDs, motorized and light armor divisions, and when pinned down, it may still require surrounding the heavy armor on four sides with EFDs and light armor to inflict enough damage to destroy it. Though certainly these challenges are a very interesting part of his game and they are surely not insurmountable, I think that these smaller nations should have a better offense/defense against such units.

Furthermore, I feel that there are certain environments in which air defenses of grund units are ineffective and unrealistic. While air forces cannot initiate attacks (another disagreement I have to discuss at another time), they can be used to overwhelming effects in ground battles. Surely many of us have seen two ground forces face off with heavy air support only to see both ground forces completely destroyed, presumptively from the air armadas. This simply doesn't happen in real life. Additionally, all but the Soviet Shock Are have a 0.05 defense rating against air units, meaning they take marginal damage from ground forces, even when they are strong, highly concentrated units.

I suggest that a new unit, an artillery division (ART), be added to alleviate these problems. It would be unable to initiate attacks, only support them. Also, it would be unable to participate in amphibious assaults. Attack against air and sea units would come into effect only in defense against those units, according to the usual combat simulation processes as described by the DevSquad on another page. Pretty much all countries had artillery, so historically I don't think this would be problematic. The statistics would be something like this, subject to change due to the history of the artillery of certain nations, of course:

COST: 20 currency

DEFENSE: 1.50
ATTACK (LAND): 1.00
ATTACK (AIR): 0.50
ATTACK (SEA): 0.20
ATTACK (SUB): Not enabled

ATTACK MODS:
CLEAR: 100%
DESERT: 120%
MARSH: 80%
MOUNTAIN: 75%
DESERT MOUNTAIN: 75%